9 Ways to Help Children Memorize Scripture
Scripture memorization is a vital part of a student's spiritual growth. Sam Luce gives some great tips on helping them remember verses.
There are a variety of ways to commit texts to memory and some techniques suit certain learning styles better than others.
- Read the text out loud, and repeat, repeat, repeat.
- Read the text out loud, then try to repeat them without looking. Repeat.
- Read aloud through the text while moving about. The combination of movement and speech strengthens a person’s ability to recall text.
- Record yourself saying the text and listen to it during everyday activities e.g. doing homework, chores, etc.
- Write the text on a card and tape it in a conspicuous area. Read it aloud every time you see it.
- Make flashcards with part of the text on one side and the rest on the other, and test yourself. Children can color these in and draw pictures on them.
- Review the text at night and in the morning.
- Write out the text. Repeat. The process of writing also helps a person’s ability to recall text.
- Drill the text with another person as often as possible.