We have all heard this when a staff member leaves our team … ”God is calling me away.” I have no doubt that is true because God has moved my family several times over the course of 14 years of ministry. God calls people away, but there are factors that push staff members to change churches. God uses “holy discontent” to help people make moves in new directions.
Making a ministry move is not a bad thing. I know church members and leaders take it personally. The question many people wonder is … WHY DID THEY LEAVE “US” … WHAT IS WRONG WITH “US”? If you want the truth … there are many more unhealthy churches than healthy churches out there. Here are five reasons I see staff members make ministry moves …
- Disconnection from the “church” — Many times, staff members leave because they just do not connect with the vision and direction of their current church. A staff member can only serve in a church they don’t fully believe in for so long.
- Lack of support — When leaders lack support from the lead pastor or overall church leadership … when they have an insufficient budget … when they have no hope of ever getting needed space in a facility. Yep, those three will do it. When staff members don’t feel supported, many times they leave.
- Chasing THE LADDER — Many times it is just this simple … sometimes staff members are not given the freedom to move into other ministry areas in their current church. Staff members have to make moves in order to go in a new direction … focus on their passion … have more influence. I hate the ministry “ladder,” but we know it exists.
- Burnout — When leaders place ministry ahead of everything else, burnout is on the horizon. So many times, staff people leave because they are have been beaten down by the system, wrong priorities and lack of balance.
- Maturity — This happens when a staff leader discovers who they are and who they are not. That powerful combination leads many staff members to new adventures.
What do you think? Why do staff leave a church? Why have you left?
These lies are told every day all around our country, and people are believing them.